Technology and blogging

Technology is a crucial element of blogging that is very often taken for granted. We sit down in front of our computer, log onto the internet, and seek out our favourite blogs either live or through an RSS feed. It's become such an integral part of our daily routines, we don't even think about it.

Computer and internet technology is now as much a part of our lives as television, radio and the daily newspaper. In many cases, especially in the areas of news and shopping, the computer has taken the forefront for many people. News can be read on demand at the click of a mouse. Shopping with keyboard and mouse is much easier than fighting traffic to and from a crowded shopping mall.

Computers and the internet are very much a part of our daily lives. As bloggers, we are especially dependent upon computer and internet access. Our very blogs depend upon that wired online relationship. No internet means no blog posts. It's as simple as that.

Like many other computer and internet users, I have become heavily dependent upon the internet. I make my living from the computer as a search engine optimization professional. I do SEO for clients, including correspondence and updates through e-mail. I check rankings for my clients on Google, Yahoo, and MSN Search, and of course that requires internet access.

I'm also a business blogger, and that means internet usage as well.

As a person depending on the technolgy on the desk (actually a solid wood table) before me, I am especially vulnerable to system failures. I had one occur today. My computer monitor, which had been displaying the signs of near death for a couple of weeks, finally gave up the ghost in the machine. Of course, its timing was dreadful, as I was in the middle of a rankings report for a client. All of the work was lost, as I had not saved or sent it. There is a moral in there somewhere.

Anyway.

I am back online with a new and much better monitor. Life in the technological world moves quickly. I was offline for only a short while, and saw first hand how fast internet time has become. Changes are almost instantaneous. With blog time, changes are even faster than that.

Yes, we depend on our computers and internet connections, and on technology in general.

As bloggers, we wouldn't have it any other way.

Tags: , , , .

Archives