Blog writing: Your posting style

Blog posts are written in many different forms.

In fact, there are so many different blog writing styles, that attempting to list even a sampling of them here, would be pure folly.

And a lot of work.

So I won't.

What I want to discuss is blog post paragraph length. I suppose that's internet readin', writin', and a bit of arithmetic. It's sort of the three R's for blogging, in a rather twisted and convoluted way.

Or not.

Notice that my blog posts are written in very short paragraphs. They are often one line or one sentence in length. This practice has got its plusses and its minuses.

As we shall see.

Blogger Peter Caputa of pc4media pointed out to me that my paragraphs are too short. He considers them hard to read as the thoughts seem disconnected and lack flow. Yes, Peter had to stir things up a bit, now didn't he?

I write the paragraphs short on purpose to prevent huge blocks of print from appearing. I have always found reading long paragraphs on the internet, with more than five or six lines, to be very difficult. I tend to skim them instead of reading them. Peter says my one liners get that same treatment from him.

Apparently, a happy medium, or perhaps some sort of blog relative of the Golden Mean is required.

At least it's a thought.

I fully realize that my paragraphs should contain more than one sentence. I also understand that my thoughts should be more coordinated. On the other hand, my fingers...okay...finger...finds the Enter key with extreme regularity. It's probably part of being a two finger typist.

But I digress.

Note the one line, partial sentence fragment? Those are fun to use to punctuate thoughts or I hope, create a smile for my readers. In any case, I'll attempt to write my paragraphs a bit longer, without getting too long.

In the meantime, do any of you have difficulties deciding upon an appropriate paragraph length for your blog posts?

Or not?

Let me know your thoughts, opinions, biases, and the meaning of life.

Okay, maybe you can skip the deep philosophical questions of our time for the moment, but it might be on the next exam, so keep it mind.

Oh, and feel free to count the one line and one sentence paragraphs.

I think Peter is keeping track for my benefit and general blogging improvement.

***Update: June 26***

Note that this post was written with deliberately short paragraphs, as a bit of light humour.

With that in mind, Peter Caputa of pc4media has rewritten this post, complete with different paragraph breaks, over at his own blog. Well, he did inspite the post in the first place after all. He now offers his readers the opportunity to rewrite the post as a sort of meme.

I hope that everyone takes a stab at a rewrite. It should be fun and represent the many widely different writing styles found among bloggers.

Let the writing games begin!

Tags: , , , .

Archives