Words of choice: Regional terms

Regional terms and spellings.

You know what I mean.

Some areas drink pop.

Other areas drink soda.

There are those who drink Coke, regardless of brand.

Words can be combined into soda pop.

I happen to prefer the term soft drink, or I use the real brand name.

For some fun, check out the map (via Minor League Ball) of North American usage of carbonated beverage terminology Great Pop vs. Soda Controversy.

Okay, you ask, how does this affect blogging?

Well, I'm glad you asked.

After all, I spell in Canadian on this business blog. As you are already aware, my posts are littered with colour, honour, and labour. Centre and licence abound.

Other bloggers, writing in other countries or areas, are likely to use their favourite (there's another one in the neighbourhood) regional or national terms and phrases.

One of the joys of blogs is the regional flavour (hmmmmm) that different spellings and terms provide for the reader.

They are fun for the writer too.

Just make certain that your readership understands what you mean.

As a blogger, you must be able to communicate your message and ideas to your visitors. Highly localized or accutely regional terms and phrases might hinder understanding.

And we don't want that, now do we?

After all, I once had no idea that a soda was really a soft drink. The word soda was never used in Manitoba, Canada where I grew up.

I learned about the word soda later in life.

I have always used the phrase soft drink.

Oh, and it's chocolate bar, and not candy bar.

Good thing I am multi-phrase lingual.

I can give temperatures in both Celsius and Fahrenheit too.

Is that being multi-tempered?

Or simply running a temperature?

Anyway.

What terms and spellings do you prefer to use?

Tags: , , , .

Archives