Gary Wright - Connected - Musician interview



Legendary musician, performer, and visionary songwriter Gary Wright was kind enough to take the time to answer a few questions about his new CD titled Connected. Featuring such musical icons as Ringo Starr, Joe Walsh, and Skunk Baxter, the CD is independently produced without a major record label. Gary Wright describes how he created the CD and how he is marketing the album through social media and the internet on his website www.thedreamweaver.com.

Thanks to Gary Wright for his time and for his thoughtful answers.

Gary Wright can be found on Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace.

What was the background to creating this now CD Connected?

Gary Wright: More than half of the songs were written on acoustic guitar while I was on holiday in Italy and the rest were written in my studio, "Satisfied" was co-written by Bobby Hart of Boyce and Hart fame, "Gimme some time" was co-written by John Lang (who co-wrote the big Mr. Mister big hits, "Life's not a Battlefield" was co-written by a Nashville writer named Joe Beck and "Can't find no Mercy" was co-written by Oliver Leiber (Jerry Leiber's son. These songs were co-written with me and the rest of the songs I wrote by myself. The lyrical content reflects my spiritual philosophy as well as positive messages. I don't write about negative subjects and if I do they have positive outcomes.

There are many legendary musicians playing on the CD and the first single "Satisfied". Who are some of the musicians and how did all of you get together on the project?

Gary Wright: The first single from the album is "Satisfied" and has as special guests Ringo on drums, Joe Walsh on guitar solo and Skunk Baxter on Rhythm guitar. Ringo I've known since the early 70's when we played together on George Harrison's solo albums, Skunk Baxter had played on some of my earlier albums, and Joe Walsh I met through Ringo. I simply asked them if they wanted to play on my album and they all agreed to do it.

The CD is being released without the backing of a major record label. Why did you choose to produce the album independently?

Gary Wright: The major labels aren't doing deals with artists who they categorize as "Heritage Artists" and even if they did do deals they wouldn't really spend a lot of time or money promoting them. I have my own label distributed through Warner Music and that works fine for me as I have control over the marketing and promotion.



Gary Wright (photo left)

What are some of the advantages of being an independent and not part of a major record label?

Gary Wright: You call all the shots, spend money where you think is fit and basically control your own destiny. The radio part of it isn't an option like it used to be because there isn't any top 40 stations playing artists like myself and the Classic Rock stations only play older hits. So you basically market through social networking sites and live shows. You also make 7 or 8 times more as an artists than if you were on a major label.

Are there some marketing, distribution, and air play challenges that you have met as a result of being an independent?

Gary Wright: In my situation I use people to do on line marketing and talk radio shows where a lot of my audience spends their time and some classic rock stations as I am on tour with Ringo this summer and that has created a lot of interest.

What are some of the marketing tactics and alternative techniques that you are using to market the CD and the single?

Gary Wright: I really try to market and brand my web site www.thedreamweaver.com and we offer things that were never available before like a USB necklace which contains the entire album plus bonus tracks - 1 of which I wrote with George Harrison in the 70's which has never been released, and the other a track that George played a solo on. There is also never released video material, photos, new tee shirts on the site. I use my team I mentioned before to market and promote the site as well as advertise on places like Amazon and Facebook.

How has the power of the internet helped in marketing your music and career?

Gary Wright: It allows you to instantly reach out to all your fans and gather new fans. It also keeps you in touch with people who support your music.

You have had tremendous success in getting your music, most notably the huge hits "Dream Weaver" and "Love Is Alive" on movie soundtracks. Are you planning to continue with this marketing strategy, and perhaps expand it?

Gary Wright: That aspect of my career happens on its own without my having to do anything like the usage of "Dream Weaver" in the new Toy Story 3. People come to me and ask if they can use my songs. I also have someone who shops my new songs from my new album "Connected" to TV and film and advertising. I will continue to do this as it helps in building awareness of my music.

You are part of Ringo Starr's All Star Band. How has this association helped continue your already stellar music career?

Gary Wright: Ringo is a dream to work with and the tour is just about sold out in a time when major artists are canceling their tours do to lack of box office sales. I feel very blessed to be a part of the band - especially at a time when my new album has just come out because the tour helps promote the new album as well as promote me. The two things go hand in hand.

You are also scheduled to appear in the a biopic about music legend George Harrison. How did you get involved in that project?

Gary Wright: Martin Scorcese's office called me and asked me if they could interview me due to my close connection with George over the years. I think Marty was especially interested in the spiritual connection George and I had in both sharing a passion for Eastern Philosophy and India. We were very close and were on the same spiritual path-Self Realization Fellowship.

What advice would you give to any musician on marketing their music without the backing of a major record label?

Gary Wright: You have to be tenacious and believe in yourself. You have to turn over all the stones and constantly look for opportunities to promote your music. I believe that success comes from trying 100% of the time even though you fail - pick yourself up and keep trying. Successful people fail 90% of the time but hit it big 10% of the time.

What is next for Gary Wright?

Gary Wright: I'm thinking about writing a book about my life, career, friends I've met along the way and my own story of personal and spiritual growth. Maybe I'll start it next year.

Tags: , , , .

Archives