Helping others: Giving directions that work



It's considered a truism that men will never ask for directions. No matter how hopelessly lost, it's believed that the male ego is so strong, that asking for help and direction is a form of weakness. I never ask for directions when travelling either, and the reason is not one of ego. It's the quality of the directions received.

Or the lack of quality thereof, to be more precise.

I once asked for directions in a rural area. I have also had terrible directions given to me in an urban setting, so the problem is probably universal. While the person offering the directions may believe they are helping, often the reverse is true. The directions presented may be worse than none at all.

Here is the actual exchange, as I asked for directions to find a place where I wanted to see some antiques.



Me: Where would I find the Jones (fictious name) place?

Local person: You go ahead until you get to where the old Smith barn used to be, then turn right and keep going. You can't miss it.

Me: I have no idea where the old Smith barn used to be. How far up the road was it?

Local person: Everyone knows where the Smith barn was. It's well known around here.

Me: I'm not from around here, and I don't know anything about the barn. Perhaps you could tell me how many miles it would be from here.

Local person: It's just up the road, then turn right.

Me (attempting a different track): After I find the missing Smith barn, how many miles to the right would I have to go?

Local person: You go to the old Smith barn and turn right and keep on going. You would have to be blind to miss it.

Me (noticing irritation): Well, thanks for your help. I'll see if I can find the place.

Local person: Everyone around here knows where the old Smith barn used to be.

Me (biting tongue to avoid saying anything out of order): Thanks again.

I left his yard, and never did find where the old Smith barn used to be, but I had to look just for interest sake. For several miles up the road, there was no sign of any former barns, or habitation of any sort at all. No wonder men never ask for directions. I know that I no longer ask for them. I find it better to muddle along than be sent on a wild goose chase.

When you are asked for help, whether in the form of directions, or some other advice or assistance, be sure your information is helpful. I try to avoid having too many "old Smith barns" in my directions or advice. Not everyone is aware of the background to every technical, marketing, promotions, or SEO issue. As a result, we are often sending the person asking for help to an "old Smith barn". We simply don't always realize it.



Be sure your instructions and advice cover the basics in the form of a brief background on the topic. If the listener knows that information already, you will be told to expand on that issue, or to move to the next step. If the person you are helping doesn't understand the full background of your advice, they will be left to locate the mythical "old Smith barn" on their own.

I never did find it, and I'm sure no one else could either, unless they were well versed in the local history and geography. The same advice applies to all of your information as well. Make certain that your readers and listeners can follow all of the steps, and why those steps are there in the first place.

Give good helpful advice, and your information will be sought from far and wide.

Good direction providers are hard to find.

Tags: , , , .

Archives