Blogging the blog makeover: Continues

The blog makeover is being done at what could be described charitably as a leisurely pace. The job of overhauling this blog won't happen overnight. I have some planning to do, some ideas to formulate, and so on. It's the so on part that takes the time.

I plan to stay with Blogger, despite its obvious weaknesses as a blogging platform. Since many new blog owners enter the system on Blogger, it helps for me to understand their concerns. On the other hand, I recommend that bloggers use TypePad or WordPress for example. As you can see, there are many bases to cover. So many blogs, and so little time.

In any case, I have been examing various templates, and trying them on for size. It's a bit like fitting a new pair of shoes. Some of the nice ones don't fit and some very bad options are the only ones in your size. Our blogs are indeed what they wear.

Since I have made so many hacks, workarounds, coding changes, and placed several third party codes into my template, it's often a problem to get them to carry over to other templates. The movement is not clean. Of course, that can be fixed and repaired. It will just take some time.

The blog repair project is fun to do, and it also serves a few other purposes. The added code on a blog gets reevaluated as to need and service. As a result, some of mine will be dropped, and replaced by updated version or different codes entirely. The housecleaning aspect of blog overhaul work is often overlooked.

One thing that is certain is my links and blogroll will remain on the blog. I like the links to other blogs, and they aren't going anywhere. Links are an integral part of blogging, and they should remain here for the duration. Bloggers are linkers. I am no exception.

Blog repairs have been delayed by business and other activities. They will continue as time permits.

It's fun to play with the blog, and that's why I am doing it myself. It's one of those great life altering experiences that shouldn't be missed.

At least that's what I tell myself.

I'll keep all of you updated as to my blog makeover progress. I'm happy to find so many of my readers interested in the process.

Tags: , , , .

Archives