Blogging the controversies

Controversies and criticisms.



They are part and parcel with blogging. Every day, we place a post out there on the great internet sea, for all to read.



Not everyone will agree with what we write. We don't expect them to take everything we publish as the gospel.



I wrote a blog post the other day, on my daily roller derby blog called Wayne's Derby World, that created a flurry of e-mail and even some message board attacks.



While I usually just ignore that sort of thing, as I'm sure all of you do as well, this time it was different. I know my critics and who they are, for one thing.



For another, they are trying to stifle my freedom of speech.



It was stated to me, in no uncertain terms, that I was not to quote anyone, whether a blogger or not, who I do not know personally. That is, of course, entirely ludicrous.



That criticism is despite giving full credit and linkage to the source. As we know, that is standard blogging procedure and good blogging etiquette. As it stands, I would have not received any nasty e-mails or message board trolls, had I failed in that proper display of good blogging manners.



That brings us to an issue that will arise for many of you over time. Many non-bloggers will not understand the rules of blogging. We have to tell them what is involved in good blogging etiquette.



We have to let people know who we can quote, how we can do it, and why. Should we fail to do so, we will find ourselves receiving much unwarranted criticism, and a lack of respect for our writing efforts.



What follows is the complete, exact, and unedited post response to my critics. It is precisely as it appears on my Wayne's Derby World blog.



Here it is, as is:



________________________________



Blogging etiquette 101



Warning: Today's roller derby column may contain uncomfortable issues for many readers.



Roller derby seems to thrive on controversy and division.



There has been some controversy over my recent column, where I quote Mark Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks of the National Basketball Association (NBA).



I have received e-mails on the quotation, and have seen message board posts on the same matter.



I quoted Mark Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks of the National Basketball Association (NBA), simply because he holds the same opinion that I do regarding investors.



I am not seeking his approval. I don't know what he thinks about other issues, or if he knows me from Adam.



All Mark Cuban and I have in common, is we both write sports and business related blogs.



Nothing else.



Those who say they know the man personally, seem to care that I don't know Mark Cuban personally.



Big whoop. I don't care, and I seriously doubt if he does either.



Mark Cuban is not a personal hero of mine. I never watch basketball. I was merely pointing out a business concept, where I was not the only person saying it.



I guess I can't hold the same opinions as he does on any topic because I don't know him.



I never met the late William Shakespeare, and neither has any other of the other six billion plus people alive today. That doesn't mean we can't quote his plays. Talk about illogical!



I guess that is not acceptable to those who make a point of claiming to know Mark Cuban personally. Well, good for you.



You can talk personalities.



I am talking business.



What I was discussing was the lack of value that investors and venture capitalists hold for startup roller derby leagues.



In an earlier column on the topic of investors, I quoted management and entrepreneurial consultant and professor Jeff Cornwall, of The Entrepreneurial Mind blog, who shares my opinion regarding venture capitalist and funding.



I also quoted, in that same column, management consultant and first class business blogger Anita Campbell of Small Business Trends who provides ample evidence that investors and venture capitalists are not going to save roller derby; or any other business for that matter.



I happen to know both Jeff Cornwall and Anita Campbell personally. They have both quoted my business opinions, from my flagship Blog Business World blog, on numerous occasions.



They share mine, and also it seems, Mark Cuban's opinion on investors and venture capitalists for startup businesses. That is the sum total of the issue.



Maybe my critics will write to Jeff Cornwall and Anita Campbell, and find fault with them, for sharing ideas held by Mark Cuban!



Let me say this.



In blogging, it is considered proper blogging etiquette, to link to and give full credit to any other blogger's ideas.



Note that I have done that; to a fault even. It's not "name dropping". It's giving full credit to a source.



Obviously, that simple and universally known and accepted fact, within the blogging community, was lost on my critics.



I fully expect to be blasted by my critics for this column.



I don't really care.



I write this daily column to support the sport of roller derby.



I am not doing this to get rich, or famous, or any of those things.



I care about the game, and I want to see it become a mainstream success once again. If I tramp on a few tender toes to do it, well, I guess it has to be that way.



I don't expect everyone to agree with what I write. That is not my intention. My goal is to help the sport, and occasionally, that will upset a few people.



Well, too bad.



Roller derby has needed to be shaken up.



A lot!



If it were not for kind words I receive for maintaining this daily column, from skaters, fans, referees, league owners and management, I might have stopped writing long ago.



It's for the people who truly care about the sport of roller derby, that I write these daily columns.



Thank you for reading and for your support.





















Archives