Blog comments : Keep or cancel

Comments are one of the most popular features of many blogs.



If you check out some of the more popular blogs, you will see comments regularly move into the twenty to thirty range.



For an example of a heavily commented blog, check out the numbers of reader responses on Sugarmama. Twenty responses is just a typical comment total over there.



A lively comments section on your blog can result in some tremendous interaction with your readers. Over time, these comments will enhance your readership.



Many bloggers will tell you that a blog without comments is an unfriendly place.



I have mixed feelings about that.



Today, Jennifer at Drink This had to censor her blog comments. While she knows the individual who caused the problem, Jennifer rightly stated:



"Of course this led him to accuse me of censoring, which I absolutely did, as is my right on my site. I reminded him of his own opportunity to start his own blog and post whatever he like."



A person who keeps and maintains a blog is entirely within their rights to have wide open comments, partially monitored and censored responses, or no comment feature at all.



Comment spamming has caused many bloggers to stop the process of comment feedback entirely.



The business blog Making It Easier has removed the comment system altogether with the following statement:



"I've been receiving more and more spam-style comments over the past few weeks and the amount of time that I have spent reversing the damage has kept me from updating the site as regularly as I would like."



Professor Bainbridge has stopped accepting comments on his blog as well.



The issue of whether to accept comments is a personal one.



On my roller derby blog, I didn't have comments for most of its one year of life. I have comments activated on all three of my blogs now.



We all have problems with comment spam, trolls, problem commenters, and more.



The question for every blogger is whether it's worth the time and effort to maintain a commenter.



I believe a comment feature is a great way to maintain feedback with your readers. I know that from having had no comments and from an active commenter.



Your choice is yours to make.



I'll support your decision which ever way you choose, as there is a good case to be made for all options.

Archives