Title tags and anchor text: A real world example

Title tags and anchor text are important to gaining good results in Google, Yahoo, MSN Search, AOL Search, Teoma, and other search engines.



I have conducted the tests to prove it.



As most of my regular readers already know, I write a daily roller derby blog. I post fresh roller derby news and commentary about the sport, on that blog every day.



For weeks now, the roller derby blog has been Number One on Page One of Yahoo Search for the blog's most searched keywords: roller derby.



The top spot on Yahoo can be achieved with strong content and strong incoming link popularity. The 553 Google listed PageRank 4 and higher incoming links is by far the largest total of any roller derby related website. Mine is the only roller derby blog.



On the other hand, the blog was mired between Number Four and Number Six on Page One of Google. That ranking never seemed to budge, despite the constant daily addition of fresh roller derby related content, and the strong link popularity.



There was simply more to the Google ranking equation than simply content and incoming links.



I decided to try some changes.



Normally, in an experiment, a person should control for only one variable at a time. That way, the correct conclusions can be drawn from the results.



I cheated a little on my use of the Scientific Method.



I changed my roller derby blog title tags from simply the blog title: Wayne's Derby World to Roller derby news and commentary - Wayne's Derby World.



At the same time, I changed the link anchor text on some of my forum post signature lines. I had previously used the blog title, but changed them to begin with "roller derby" and added varying extras like "news and commentary" or simply "blog" or "news blog" to the always present "roller derby".



Some link text remains with the blog title of Wayne's Derby World.



I consider it a wise choice to vary the forms of link anchor text used for any blog or website. Variation prevents the search engines from considering the links to be "keyword spamming" or "keyword stuffing". Instead, the link text informs potential visitors, that my blog is all about the sport of roller derby.



In terms of search engines, anything that is designed to "trick" the search engines is considered to be "spam" and is against their posted Guidelines For Webmasters.



As a result of the changes to the anchor link text and the title tags, my roller derby blog has risen from Number Four, and then to Number Three, a couple of days ago. Today, the blog reached its all time high ranking of Number Two on Page One.



I may even reach Number One on Page One on Google some day, for my most important searched keywords.



Keep that discovery in mind and check over your title tags and incoming link anchor text.



Make certain that your most important keywords are included.



Your blog will rise in the search engine rankings as a result.



Do like I did.



Skip the Scientific Method, and change both at the same time.

Archives