Guest blogging: What is it?

A mild tempest in a teapot has broken out over guest blogging, or guest posting, as some people call it.



Guest blogging is being invited, or perhaps volunteering, to write a post on someone else's blog. The topic of the guest posting can either be decided by the blog owner, or by the visiting blogger. The ideas are often agreed upon before the actual writing.



The idea was frowned upon recently by Kev at his blog.



Kev says:



"I've got my own "thing that makes me go hmm" about blogland: guest posting. Guest posting appears to be the rather odd concept of having other people post entries in your blog. I'm awfully confused by this. I mean



Why would you want someone else posting to your blog?



Why would someone else *want* to post an entry to your blog?"



Voicing support for the idea of guest blogging is Jeremy Wright of Ensight.



You can read Jeremy's ideas about guest blogging here.



It's interesting that guest blogging has become something of a hot topic.



I am a guest blogger every Tuesday at Ensight. I am also part of a mega guest blogging site, that includes Jeremy, called Blog Search Engine Blog. My first guest blog was written for Search Engine Journal, at the request of blog owner Loren Baker.



Why do I guest blog?



I write columns and posts for other business and blogging information sites to help out my friends. Since I like to assist my friends be successful in their blogging ventures, I'm more than happy to provide whatever support I can. If that's in the form of a guest posting, then I'm more than happy to do so.



I also want other bloggers to benefit, perhaps in some small way, from my business experience. Many bloggers lack the basic knowledge of marketing, promotions, and search engine optimization. Some beginners aren't aware of the various blog directories, that will list their blogs free of charge.



I am more than happy to be of assistance to them, and helping them on their way.



Note, however, I only guest blog on sites that are business, marketing, or search engine oriented. On those sites, I can offer helpful advice for bloggers; and for that matter, any web sites. My posts are more in the way of "stand alone" columns and articles, than tradtional blog posts.



I don't post on sites that are more in the line of personal diaries. They are not my area of expertise. I can, however, assist them in getting their blogs listed in various directories. I can also provide them with many easy to implement ideas to increase their readership. I simply don't post on those blogs.



Guest blogging is not some weird "fan" thing for me.



It's a way of helping out my friends, and providing advice to other bloggers.



It's my idea of "giving back" to the internet community who have given my roller derby site so much support.



It's the least I can do.







Archives