RSS feeds as the new viral marketing

RSS feeds may be the new killer app for sales and marketing.



If you ask Kari Sullivan over at Greedy Girl, she won't even consider using an e-mail newsletter any more.



She has gone over all the way to RSS.



Kari says about the advantages of RSS over e-mail newsletters:



Seriously. Up until a month ago, I was very lame about holding on to my opt in lists. But, I started to realize that email really is dead. I have tried everything to get whitelisted. And eventually, my stuff ends up in the junk / spam folder. Yup, even if it’s double opt in. Yes, even when I’ve made contacts with people at major companies like Yahoo!



So I did something radical and a bit scary. I stopped soliciting new subscribers via email. I switched everything over to RSS. If you don’t have an RSS reader, then you won’t get marketed to by me.



And what happened? Tons more viral success and a good bit more money.




She even enumerates some convincing reasons for believing RSS is the wave of the future. She likely could have created even more with a bit of time.



For those of you who are still not convinced that RSS is the killer app for viral marketing, check out Greedy Girl's ideas on the subject of RSS feeds.



You will be sold on RSS feeds afterwards.









Archives